As the lesson “Literacies” also addresses the new literacies disconnect between faculty and students, participants are challenged to present their ideas working with new media in the classroom and to share information on their experiences in this regard, as well as post useful teaching materials that might be useful to other teachers.
After watching the videos, use your previous ideas in conjunction with the information from the videos to make posts on the forum and discuss the following topics:
- Did any of the definitions of literacy discussed in the video match your own definition?
- Which definition of literacy was the closest to your original understanding of literacy?
- Are any of the other definitions of literacy relevant in your context?
New literacies and new media
- You have seen two examples of freely available new media which can be used in the classroom: GeoGebra and PhyPhox. What examples, if any, of new media do you use in your classroom?
- How do you use these media with your students? Is there an example of an activity that works well that you could present for other teachers?
- Could these new media also be used in other subjects?
Read the comments of your peer learners.
- Is there any new media available that you haven’t yet tried but would like to? Has anybody posted anything about new media that you have used and could share your own experiences on?